Passport Odyssey

Odissea Passaporto

“Flounder in this sea (of phone calls) is sweet to me” The Infinity, Giacomo Leopardi (semicit.)

“Naufragar m’è dolce in questo Mare (di telefonate)” L’Infinito, Giacomo Leopardi (semicit)

It’s not clear when we’ll next be able to start planning holidays or backpacking trips, far from the four walls that have kept us prisoners for the best part of this year, which is luckily nearing its end. Last spring, during the second month of lockdown, after yet another walk along the canals of east London, I found myself reorganising my infamous ‘messy’ drawer (yes, we all have one). I had plenty of time on my hands, so I decided to really get stuck into it, and I soon found myself clutching my passport in my hands. A feeling of nostalgia came over me as I flicked through the pages of my most treasured possession. Contained within it were stamps for Nepal, Indonesia, Hawaii, and the Seychelles, all of which brought back happy memories of warmer weather, a feeling that quickly turned into an real urge to travel again. As I closed my passport to return it to the drawer, my eyes fell to the expiry date: February 2021. 

I grabbed my laptop and immediately started researching how to renew my passport online. My initial findings on forums and official websites seemed to suggest I should start the process at least six months in advance, but to be honest, the thought of going to the Italian consulate sent shivers down my spine. If you’ve ever had to deal with Italian bureaucracy, you’ll understand my distress, and to make matters worse, I had to do it all from the UK.

I’ve been registered with the AIRE (Register of Italians Resident Abroad) for years, and I’ve been lucky enough to deal with the Italian consulate just once before, but this time I knew there was no way out. I accessed my AIRE records online and started trying to figure out how to renew my passport, but without much luck. I decided to call the consulate directly (yes, you heard that right). I felt as if I were embarking on an odyssey, making fruitless attempts to get through on the phone, which would either ring once, get cut off, or not even connect. I turned my attention back to the Internet, and finally found a web page where you could supposedly book an appointment to renew your passport. I clicked on the link, my hopes high, but unfortunately, it seemed the Internet was winning this battle, too. Suddenly, a page flashed up with a phone number for the passport office, and it differed from the one I’d previously been trying. My eyes lit up and I grabbed my phone to dial the number right away. Of course, the line disconnected before it even had a chance to ring. But I wasn’t going to give up. If I was going to continue on my journey to Ithaca, I needed to stay strong and not allow frustration to get the better of me. I dialled the number several times, until at one point, a recorded voice played out of the little speaker, ”We’re sorry, but due to the coronavirus pandemic this service is currently unavailable”. Like poor Ulysses, prisoner of Calypso the nymph, I felt lost, with no choice but to leave the will of the future in God’s hands. The following day, I found myself looking out of the window with empty eyes at a lost world. I tried and tried again, but the recorded voice kept telling me the same thing for days, weeks, and then months on end. The service wasn’t available, unless it was an emergency, and my situation didn’t really seem all that urgent.

Months passed, and autumn came knocking at my door. In the meantime, I’d lost the will to smile, let alone interact with people. It all seemed so pointless. When would I get the chance to travel again? Soon I wouldn’t even be able to return to my own country, and on top of that, Brexit was looming over us all. I envisaged myself stuck on this island forever. I spent hours sitting by the window looking at the leaves turn yellow and then brown, until one chilly afternoon at the beginning of September, I decided to dial the phone number once more. I almost jumped for joy when the recorded message failed to play. Instead, the line went dead. On the tenth try, the recorded voice returned, but this time, it said something very much different. It told me to stay on the line to book an appointment to renew my world’s passpartout. Suddenly, the line cut out. Like an Achaean, I gritted my teeth and continued to dial the number. I didn’t put my phone down for two days, and then, as if Athena were helping me escape a storm summoned by Neptune, a voice travelled down the line and into my ear, “Good morning, Italian General Consulate. How may I help you”.

I wanted to cry out in tears of joy, but I pulled myself together. I couldn’t ruin my chances of success. If this was going to work, I needed to stay calm and make the most of it. I asked for an appointment to renew my passport. It was the end of September by this point, and the friendly voice on the other end of the phone asked if an appointment in two weeks’ time would suffice? Perhaps a nymph was playing mind games with me, but for some strange reason, I said there was no rush. “You utter fool,” I thought to myself. “’Why on earth would you sabotage your own salvation?’”. The kind voice on the other end of the phone provided me with a way out of the depths of my indecision, “Would 2 November work for you?”. Before allowing myself any time for dangerous doubt to creep in, I calmly responded, “Yes thanks, that would be great”. The polite voice wrapped up the call, promising that I’d receive an email containing all the information and documentation I needed, along with a handy check list to make sure I didn’t forget anything. It would also contain the date of my appointment: 11:33am on 2 November.

I had the date and time of my final battle. October lulled by, and I was filled with a sense of breezy confidence at my accomplishment. A couple of days before my appointment, I stopped by the barber’s for a trim, and then to get some new passport photos taken. I psyched myself up, even though I had a time slot booked so wouldn’t have to stand in the mile-long queue outside. I set my alarm, and fell into a light sleep. I was a little anxious, but safe in the knowledge I had the strength required for battle day. 

Non è chiaro e nemmeno si sa quando mai lo sarà, il momento in cui potremo permetterci di decidere dove trascorrere le nostre vacanze o programmarci un viaggietto che sia zaino in spalla o in una spiaggia tropicale lontano dalle quattro mura che ci hanno imprigionato per la maggior parte di quest’anno per fortuna in dirittura d’arrivo. Nel secondo mese di lockdown generale, la scorsa primavera, dopo l’ennesima corsa/passeggiata per i canali di East London mi ritrovai a sistemare il famoso cassetto ”incasinato” (che ognuno di noi ha). Avendo tempo feci le cose fatte bene, riordinando tutto e ritrovandomi con il passaporto in mano, con un amaro sorriso mi sedetti ed iniziai a sfogliare le pagine di uno dei miei tesori più importanti, il timbro del Nepal, dell’Indonesia, delle Hawaii, delle Seychelles e altre sporche pagine che mi riportarono alla mente ricordi di caldo spensieratezza e di conseguenza estrema voglia di viaggiare. Prima di chiudere e riporre il mio bel libretto personale, sfogliando la prima pagina mi accorsi che il tempo stringeva, a Febbraio 2021 mi sarebbe scaduto il Passaporto.

Aprii il mio laptop ed iniziai a fare qualche ricerca sul processo da seguire per il rinnovo del documento, i primi risultati tra forum e siti ufficiali suggerivano di iniziare il processo almeno sei mesi prima, e vi dico la verità, il solo pensiero di presentarmi in Consolato a Londra mi fece rabbrividire, non so se abbiate mai avuto a che fare con la burocrazia Italiana, dall’estero oltretutto, se così fosse capirete benissimo la mia angoscia.

Sono iscritto all’AIRE da anni ormai, per mia fortuna mi sono dovuto recare in consolato solo una volta, ma per ovvie ragioni, il passaporto va fatto in consolato. Eseguii il log in nella mia pagina aire e cercai come e dove rinnovare il passaporto, trovai qualcosa ma non molto, per sicurezza decisi di chiamare direttamente l’ufficio consolare, si avete capito bene! Decisi di chiamare, come in un’Odissea, vani furono i tentativi che mi accompagnarano per una settimana alla ricerca della linea perduta, o che saltava, o che nemmeno squillava; mi reimmersi nell’Internet, e finalmente trovai una pagina dedicata, con un link per la prenotazione di un appuntamento, cliccai, e non successe nulla, cliccai e ricliccai senza perdere le speranze ma la rete sembrava averla vinta su di me. Venni all’improvviso sorpreso da una schermata che mostrava un numero di telefono dedicato all’ufficio passaporti, diverso da quello generale, mi si illuminarono gli occhi, afferrai il telefono e composi il numero, la linea cadde ancora prima di squillare, non mi diedi per vinto, per ritornare alla mia Itaca di viaggi e scoperte dovevo essere forte e non mollare, composi il numero più e più volte, finchè una voce registrata echeggiò dal microfono: “Siamo spiacenti, ma il servizio, causa Covid, è al momento non disponibile”. Come il povero Ulisse prigioniero della ninfa Calipso mi sentii perduto, privo della possibilità di intervenire lasciando tutto in mano al volere degli Déi, i giorni seguenti mi ritrovai a guardare sconfitto fuori dalla finestra su di un mondo ormai perduto, tentai e ritentai, ma la voce mi assicurava per settimane che diventarono poi mesi la triste verità, il servizio non era disponibile se non per emergenze, e la mia non lo sembrava agli occhi degli déi.

Passarono mesi, il ciclo delle stagioni mi presentò le porte dell’autunno, la voglia di interagire con persone e sorridere mi mancava, tutto sembrava vano, quando mai avrei potuto viaggiare? Non sarei nemmeno tornato a casa da Febbraio in poi essendo la Brexit pronta a piantare bandiera nel territorio dove rischiavo di stare per sempre, me ne stavo seduto a vedere le foglie ingiallire finchè in uno dei primi freschi pomeriggi di fine Settembre decisi di ricomporre il numero, mi si riempì di gioia il cuore quando scoprii che la voce registrata non m’accoglieva più, semplicemente la linea cadeva direttamente, al decimo tentativo un’altra voce registrata mi comandava di restare in linea ed attendere il mio turno per prenotare un appuntamento fine a rinnovare il mio passaprtout del mondo, la linea cadde di nuovo, e come un Acheo strinsi i denti e continuai a chiamare, non mi staccai dalla cornetta per due giorni, e poi come se Atena mi avesse consegnato il mantello per sfuggire alle tempeste delle linee telefoniche come quelle di Nettuno nel profondo blu, una voce echeggiò nell’auricolare: ”Consolato Generale degli Italiani buongiorno, come posso esserle utile?”. Volli piangere in un mare di felicità, ma fui subito consapevole che quella era la mia occasione, e per cambiare il corso degli eventi dovevo restare calmo e sfruttarla al meglio, chiesi un appuntamento per il rinnovo del passaporto, era fine Settembre, la cordialissima e preparata voce mi chiese se di li a due settimane mi sarebbe andato bene un appuntamento, forse qualche ninfa mi trasse in inganno di nuovo e dissi che non c’era fretta, ”Maledetto a me” pensai, ”Perchè rischi di sabotare il tuo ritorno alla luce stolto che non sei altro?”. La cordiale voce illuminò il mio cammino nei meandri della confusione offrendomi un appuntamneto di lì a poco più di un mese, ”Il 2 Novembre le va bene?”, senza esitare ma con voce placata replicai con un ”Si grazie va benissimo”, venni poi liquidato con molta cortesia assicurato da una e-mail che mi avrebbe informato su tutta la documentazione necessaria, lo svolgimento del processo ed una check-list in modo da andare a colpo sicuro, e la data, 2 Novembre ore 11:33.

Avevo la data e l’ora della battaglia finale, il mese di Ottobre passò con la serenità di una quasi sicurezza nella riuscita delle mie gesta, un paio di giorni antecedenti all’appuntamento andai dal barbiere, mi feci le foto apposite per il Passaporto Italiano, e mi preparai, sapendo comunque che avendo l’appuntamento non avrei dovuto fare la solita kilometrica fila all’entrata dell’ufficio Consolare. Impostai la sveglia, e mi addormentai un po’ agitato ma fiducioso nelle mie capacità per la battaglia dell’indomani.

“Catch me if you can” made by Ludovica Marani

I awoke early, dawn lighting up the strangely still skyline and beckoning in a new day. I meditated to prep myself for battle. I went for a long walk and printed off all the documentation I needed before heading to the battlefield. The booking confirmation email explicitly stated that I had to get there at least ten minutes before my appointment or risk being turned away. As I approached, I spotted a very long queue. It almost looked as if a bishop were giving a Homily on the First Sunday of Advent. I waltzed passed them all, weapon in hand, and presented myself to the armed doorman, like a messenger requesting to see the officer. I had an appointment, which was scheduled to start in five minutes. He told me to join the back of the line without even batting an eyelid. I didn’t let myself get upset. It was evident he hadn’t quite understood that I was carrying some very important documents. I approached him again, saying I had all the paperwork ready and a scheduled appointment. He didn’t even look at me. “Back of the line”, he said, with the repudiation of someone desperately batting away a chocolate bar after being force-fed chocolate for years. In my politest voice, I asked which of the two queues I needed to join. He gestured to one of the lines with a heavy hand, as if he were lifting the weight of his desire to be somewhere, anywhere else. I couldn’t even see the end of the line. I traipsed past dozens of people, before taking my spot right at the back. I felt defeated. The clock struck 11:28, just as the sun was starting to poke through the clouds and the consulate was threatening to shut its doors. Just like everyone else in the queue, I stayed put, waiting in vain. What were a few hours of waiting after months of turmoil? It was my last chance, and I had to make the most of it. 

I waited and waited as sirens sang in the concrete sea near Farringdon, but I was tied to the mast, ready to do battle with the Titans. After an hour and a half, I made it to the main door. I was nearly inside. I’d almost made it. I clutched onto my pen and documentation – my sword and shield – at the entrance to the arena. Fifteen minutes went by and I detected a rumble from within. They were ready to welcome the next warrior for battle. A second doorman approached me, asking to see the encrypted code that would allow me entrance to the building. He agreed to let me in, and so I entered through the doors. I soon found myself in the foyer, with its high ceilings and endless stairs, littered with guards wherever I looked. I went through security, surrendering my bottle opener, confident that I would be victorious. They confiscated it and promised I could have it back on my way out. 

I sat down next to the other brave soldiers. Some were shouting in anger, some were there for the first time, some were meant to be somewhere else already, and some were leaving the battlefield defeated because they were not yet ready for combat. My number was called. I looked at the person behind the counter, he appeared calm and confident, as if he were concocting some evil plan to sabotage my success. We greeted each other with a “Hello”, and a  “How are you?”. The man seemed nice enough but I was unsure whether to lower my guard. But Athena placed her hand on my heart, and encouraged me to believe he just might be on my side. After explaining why I was at the consulate and handing over the necessary documentation, I got confirmation that Athena was right. The man was the kindest Italian soul ever to set foot in the new world. He was incredibly knowledgeable, quick, thorough and almost cheerful. He asked me if I had any questions. I asked if there was any chance I could keep my old passport, for memory’s sake. He agreed. I thanked him and we said our goodbyes. He assured me that a colleague would call me over shortly to pay the fees and collect my prize. I thanked him again and returned to sit with the other lost souls, watching as the numbers of the lucky saved souls flashed up on the screen. Just as the boat threatened to pull me back into the human world, Charon called my number and escorted me over to a kind woman. She was a cheerful woman with a northern Italian accent and excellent Spanish language skills. I grabbed my bag and counted out my coins, and before I knew it, I was holding my new passport in my hands. I thanked her, and said goodbye. I headed for the exit, and after collecting my bottle opener, exited through the main doors to the consulate, throwing a victorious look at the bitter doorman I’d previously dealt with. I bid him farewell with a big smile, and went on my way.

I’d suffered months of waiting, hours of queueing, but once inside the building, I’d experienced the most efficient and punctual services the Italian peninsula had to offer. I doubted the success of my endeavours, but the officials had come through at the final hour, and with incredible cordiality.

Italian bureaucracy is certainly not known for its simplicity, but it’s worth pointing out that there are nearly half a million Italians living in the United Kingdom, and that’s not forgetting everyone with dual citizenship, along with all the other documentation that needs processing, all of which is handled by the same office. If the staff at the consulate were in a position to do a better job, I’m sure they would (okay, maybe not all of them, but you know what I mean). 

And so my journey to Ithaca took on the form of a new passport, ready to collect fresh stamps as soon as this pandemic is over. After my trip to the consulate, I went home and took a sip on a good old Italian espresso, aware that I was safe for the next ten years, until 2030, when the next battle would come knocking at my door. Hopefully the experience I gain over the next few years will afford me the wisdom to handle the task with a little more ease. 

If you live in the UK and need to renew your Italian passport, make sure you are registered with the online AIRE system and that your records are up-to-date. If you need further information, take a look at the helpful links below, and get ready to spend hours trying to get through on the phone, safe in the knowledge that once you make it inside the consulate, the process is fairly quick and easy.
Good luck! 

Mi svegliai, presto, Aurora illuminò con la punta delle dita il non comun cielo sereno avviandolo all’inizio del giorno, meditai per preparami alla battaglia, feci una lunga camminata, stampai tutto l’occorrente e mi avviai verso il terreno di gioco. L’appuntamento prevedeva scritta esplicitamente la mia impossibilità di arrivare con più di dieci minuti d’anticipo, essendo che non mi avrebbero fatto entrare, scorsi l’infinita quotidiana coda all’entrata come se si stesse ricevendo l’omelia dal vescovo la prima Domenica d’avvento, passai affianco a tutti con l’armatura di un appuntamento ed I fogli pronti, all’armato usciere mi presentai come un messaggero chiedendo di vedere il funzionario come da appuntamento prestabilito che sarebbe dovuto avvenire di lì a cinque minuti, non mi degnò nemmeno di uno sguardo, e mi disse di mettermi in fila. Non me la presi, evidentemente non aveva capito che portavo documenti importanti con previa disposizione da consegnare urgentemente al funzionario dello Stato, lo riapprocciai, dissi di avere un appuntamento e tutta la documentazione pronta. Non mi degnò di una sguardo e mi disse di mettermi in fila, con il ripudio di chi da anni si ingozza di cioccolato e debba dire ad una barretta di essere sempre di cioccolato e di farsi da parte, chiesi cortesemente quale fila, me la indicò quasi a sollevare tutto il peso della voglia d’essere altrove alzando il braccio, I miei occhi non ne scorsero la fine, iniziai a camminare, e dopo aver contato circa tre dozzine di persone mi sistemai in coda. Mi sentii sconfitto, a chi pensavo di farla? L’orologio indicava le 11:28, e quando il sole si sarebbe fatto senza ombre la reggia avrebbe chiuso le sue porte, e come tutti in fila non mi diedi per vinto, aspettai vano, infondo, cos’erano una o due ore dopo mesi d’attesa, era la mia ultima occasione, e andava preso tutto quello che questa mi avrebbe potuto dare.

Attesi ed attesi, sirene cantavano nel mare di cemento vicino Farringdon ma restavo legato al mio albero maestro pronto a scontrarmi con I Titani, dopo un ora e mezza arrivai davanti all’entrata, c’ero quasi, ero li, tenevo la mano pronta sulla mia penna e sui miei documenti come fosse un gladio all’entrata dell’arena, passarono altri quindici minuti e potevo sentire la folla acclamare un altro condottiero; un altro guardiano approcciò I miei piedi e mi chiese di mostrargli il validante codice criptato per poter entrare a palazzo, mi fece segno di passare, entrai. Finalmente fui all’interno della reggia dagli alti soffitti e scale, con guardie ad ogni lato ove il mio sguardo posava, mi fecero un controllo, e dichiarai il mio cavatappi, convinto di poter brindare alla riuscita dell’impresa; mi venne ritirato promettendo di essere restituito dopo il colloquio con il funzionario all’uscita della sede.

Mi fecero accomodare con gli altri battaglieri, eroi, chi urlava incattivito, chi si approcciava per la prima volta, chi già avrebbe dovuto essere a svolgere le proprie mansioni e chi se ne andava sconfitto perchè non attrezzato per la battaglia. Chiamarono il mio numero, incrociai subito lo sguardo del funzionario, era calmo, sicuro di se’, come se stesse per attuare un piano diabolico per sabotare la riuscita della mia impresa ad un passo dal compimento, ci scambiammo gli elogi di circostanza tra ‘Buongiorno’ e ‘come sta?’. L’uomo sembrava sincero, non seppi se abbassare la guardia, ma Atena mi mise una mano sul cuore facendomi capire che chi avevo davanti sarebee potuto essere dalla mia parte, esplicai le mie necessità e fornii tutto l’occorrente, Atena ebbe nuovamente ragione, l’uomo fu il più cordiale di tutte le anime Italiche mai trovate nel nuovo mondo, molto preparato e veloce, esauriente e soprattutto solare, mi chiese se avessi qualche quesito da porre alla corte, chiesi semplicemente se avessi potuto tenere anche il mio vecchio libretto di viaggio come ricordo, mi disse di si, lo ringraziai, ci scambiammo gli elogi di congedo, mi assicurò che un altro funzionario mi avrebbe chiamato di lì a poco, per riscuotere le tasse e affidarmi il nuovo trofeo di battaglia, ringraziai nuovamente e presi posto nella stanza delle anime perse dove un display simile a Caronte illuminava i numeri delle anime salve. A quel punto la barca per riportarmi nel mondo degli umani si avvicinò, Caronte prese il mio numero e mi accompagnò dal funzionario numero due, una donna, anch’essa molto cordiale, come la donna accanto al funzionario precedente, la più sorridente con un accento nordico e doti di dialettica ispanica con un altro condottiero; ad ogni modo, estrassi la sacca e versai i dinari necessari, in un batter d’occhio stringevo tra le mani il mio nuovo passaporto, ringraziai di nuovo, lei restituì la cortesia, ci salutammo e mi avviai all’uscita, ritirai di nuovo il mio apri bottiglie e uscii dalla grande porta del palazzo dando un’occhiata completamente priva di rancore ma solo di buona riuscita verso l’amara guardia precedentemente affrontata, con un sorriso le augurai buona giornata, e me ne andai.

Mesi di sofferenza, ore d’attesa in colonna, ma una volta entrato a palazzo ebbi i migliori servigi di tutta la penisola Italica, con efficenza e puntualità, mai mi sarei aspettato la fluida riuscita della mia impresa proprio nelle battute finali, da elogio il comportamento dei funzionari allo sportello.
Ora, la burocrazia Italiana certo non si fa conoscere come la più semplice con la quale aver a che fare ma doveroso è ammettere che il numero di Italici nel Regno D’Inghilterra superi i 500.000 individui, da aggiungere poi tutte le doppie cittadinanze e documentazioni varie da dover sbrigare in un solo ufficio, se i funzionari potessero fare meglio certo sono sicuro lo farebbero, non tutti, vero, ma molti si.

E così ritrovai la mia Itaca sotto forma di un nuovo libretto di viaggi dove collezionare timbri una volta che tutta questa triste pandemica situazione sarà finita, andai a casa e sorseggiai un buon caffe’ Italiano, consapevole della tregua stipulata per i diec’anni avvenire, fino al 2030, quando un’altra battaglia sarà alle porte, ma speriamo che la saggezza ed esperienza acquisita ci porti a poter semplicemente risolvere la stipula seduti, parlando o interagendo da casa in maniera più semplice.

Nel caso doveste fare o rifare il Passaporto in UK assicuratevi di essere iscritti ed aggiornati all’AIRE, date un occhio ai seguenti link, magari vi aiutano, e preparatevi a perdere ore a cercare di ottenere la linea al telefono, ma una volta dentro, e’ semplice e veloce.

General Number for the Consulate 020 7936 5900 

Passport Appointment Number 0203 327 6290 

Italian General Consulate – Passport Information Page:

Passport Phone Line Information: orario-call-centre-passaporti.html

Author | + posts

Born in Verona Emanuel is a never ending challenger seeking for discomfort, he left home 10 years ago to travel the world; now in London he wonders around trying new flavours of life, food and drinks, sipping coffee, and screaming at dirty punky gigs, with the backpack always ready on his bedside.

Illustrator | Website | + posts

Ludovica is a freelance illustrator and graphic designer based in London working for various publications and independent clients.

Back To Top